Thursday, April 24, 2008

Just got back from the Doctor...

I have been dealing with this pain issue/injury for over 6 weeks, finally decided to break down and see an orthopedic doctor. Not a day too soon. I cant stand the fact that i went from running 40+ miles per week to not running at all and having to sit in a whirlpool. Not sure which is worse the physical pain or the psychological stress.
After a series of x-rays, the good news is I don't have a stress fracture. Thank God. The bad news is I have a severe strain of the adductor muscle. While I was 'trying' to press on and force the running,I have strained my hamstring and calves. Lesson learned.
The Doctor said the best advice would be to take advil every 8 hours for the next 2 weeks and lay off the running for 6-8 weeks. Easier said than done. I told him I was running a marathon in 10 days. He shook his head and said "I wouldnt advise it, but if you do...load up on the advil and dont do anything for the next 10 days."
So...shutting it down and praying..... Also, alot of stretching, hot tub, and Bio Freeze(great stuff...got some from my massage therapist.....works wonders for sore muscles).

I feel good that I went this morning, a weight has been lifted that nothing serious is wrong. Just overtraining soreness/strain.

Also, I need to write an open apology letter to everyone for the way I have been acting the last few weeks. Especially my wife. Saint Elizabeth...I call her Saint for the amount of support she gives me for my running/training. Its not easy with 3 small kids at home. I don't tell her enough how wonderful she is.
Not running/training has turned me into a complete a-hole. Feeling sorry for myself..blah..blah..blah..
I got a wake up call this week. My sister's husband cancer is back and he went into Duke Hospital for chemo(melanoma). The treatment went well, but cancer is a scary thing. I am so so lucky and blessed.
Also, I got a nice email from my best friend when I was in elementary school. He lives in Tenn. and we keep in touch by email. I told him about my injury and the upcoming marathon. He said...

"There are those that say they are going to do something and then there are those that do. You are one of the few that do. You the man!!"

That made my day...

In short...I am blessed and very lucky....Injury or no Injury....

Ok...off to the whirlpool....

No comments: